Skip to main content

An Objective View, Subjectively Speaking

Even though this post does not contain photos, I think it contains an important message for those of us that create photos, therefore all the text.
          On more than one occasion I have shown people - disinterested parties that had nothing to do with my work at that time - various photos that I had shot on a given theme, before revealing the one I thought was the best. And more than once I had people pull out a shot that I was intent on eliminating, and said how much more they liked that one. Not just one person, but usually a handful - enough to make me reconsider keeping the image.
          At first I began to think that perhaps I was not really as creative as I had thought, since all of these people gave a blank expression toward my 'crowning image', and insisted that I keep one that did not speak to me at all. Wow, didn't they see the vision I was going for? Didn't they "get" what I was doing in the shot I spent hours perfecting and tweaking? Was my idea really so tepid that they didn't immediately connect with it and run off into fields of daisies singing songs about it?
          Then it dawned on me: Maybe my idea of what is the 'greatest shot ever' was just that - my idea. I might think it is awesome, but others connected more readily with something else. I had to step back, in a very cold and objective way, and realize that I was just one little person with one more idea, in a sea of people with ideas. No better, no worse. Photography is about creating images that speak to people, not just me. I might not know how or why a particular shot speaks to them (maybe they don't either), but that is the amazing thing about the arts, and creative work: Sometimes it is the thing that you would never imagine that speaks the loudest to people. Interesting.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playing With Dramatic Light

I have this image that keeps recurring in my mind. It involves the cold blue feeling of a dark winter and the glowing orange of a firelight. So far it seems to keep eluding me, although I think this is largely because every attempt I have made to capture this "mood" has been done in a hurry, or in the rain, or some other situation that forced me to run through it rather than walk it out. This shot is one such version. I may need to go back with a slightly different lighting setup and try some more. Perhaps in a different location.
Hello, and welcome to the C.M. Franke Photography Blog! Stop by as often as you like to see new posts and rambling thoughts about light, color, and all of the other cool stuff that makes photography the dream we all chase and live!

Everything Old is New Again...

Due to events that would take far too long to explain here, I now find myself working with a camera that I have not used for more than half a decade. Granted, it will largely be used only as a back-up at this point, but the question of why  anyone would 'go back' to using such "antiquated" technology as a 10-year old (at the time of this writing) digital camera that is only 12.3 megapixels and has a max ISO of 3200 has an interesting series of answers. Let me cite the method to my madness. The camera in question is a Nikon D-90 with a vertical grip. At the time it was released it was considered a top-shelf pro-sumer model, and it was the definitive purchase that pushed me from film into digital. At 12.3MP, it was quite the heavy hitter for it's time, considering it was not all that many iterations down the line from the days of the "5MP cieling", where even high end DSLRs were still climbing out of the 3.2 range. To show you just how far things have co