Skip to main content

The Light on The Street is...

I love night photography. Something about a photograph made at night embodies the Cinematic. Traditional still portrait photos are shot in airy, well lit studios. Movies have night scenes on location. I want my images to look like movies. For me, that often comes down to creating the look of night, rather than capturing it using only whatever light is available and adjusting the camera accordingly. 
      Over the last few years, I have noticed a number of films where much of the action takes place in a night-scape lit by the orange/amber glow of sodium streetlights. While I had never been a fan of that light in real life, I decided to try my hand at creating the look for a photo project. Since using real sodium streetlights would mean either a very high (and grainy) ISO, or long, long, long shutter speeds, I determined pretty early on that I would be using flash. I will spare you all of the technical details of why using flash to replicate street light is a challenge, but I will say that there are a number of manufacturers who offer gels to do just that. Both Lee and Rosco offer "sodium light" variations, and while I have not tried them yet, I am impressed by what I have seen others do with them. It's just that... I wanted to create my own. 
      I started with the usual suspects: 1/2 CTO and some variations of yellow. I added in the occasional 1/8 CTG for different experiments. In the end, I wound up finding some vinyl sheeting used for arts and crafts for sale online. It is essentially a 10 gauge iridescent orange plastic. Since it is relatively "clear," it does not cause very much light loss. So I combined that with some amber yellow cellophane wrap found in a local party-supply store. In essence - readily available supplies. So what does the end result look like when used in a photograph?  Take a look:


In this shot, the gelled "streetlight" to the right was supplemented with an amber gelled flash in the back to simulate a following car's headlights. A blue gelled LED light inside the car simulates instrument panel light.   ISO 320 50mm Nikkor  f/2.8 and 1/50th sec WB 5000K


In this one, the gelled strobe was positioned in the street and shot through a 36" umbrella on a 12' stand, to mimic the throw of light from an extant streetlight just out of frame. Shutter speed was dragged to bring in the other sodium light at the bottom of the hill.  ISO 3200 50mm Nikkor  f/2.8 and 1/20th sec WB 5000K


Bear in mind, there was not a little dodging, burning, color tweaking, and all of the other PhotoShop fine tuning that goes into taking a raw image and making into a finished photo. But overall, I do kind of like the end results. I have learned over time that the lighting solutions used in motion pictures are frequently quite different from what might be used in still photography. So duplicating what they do in Hollywood is often replaced by emulating it.
      Of course, after all of that work creating the right mix of gels, I am noticing that the familiar old high-pressure sodium lights are disappearing now. They are being replaced by 5000K white-light LED streetlights. But I won't complain: The new LED's look like the lighting in La La Land (2016) and that look is MUCH easier to emulate with flash!!  
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playing With Dramatic Light

I have this image that keeps recurring in my mind. It involves the cold blue feeling of a dark winter and the glowing orange of a firelight. So far it seems to keep eluding me, although I think this is largely because every attempt I have made to capture this "mood" has been done in a hurry, or in the rain, or some other situation that forced me to run through it rather than walk it out. This shot is one such version. I may need to go back with a slightly different lighting setup and try some more. Perhaps in a different location.

Everything Old is New Again...

Due to events that would take far too long to explain here, I now find myself working with a camera that I have not used for more than half a decade. Granted, it will largely be used only as a back-up at this point, but the question of why  anyone would 'go back' to using such "antiquated" technology as a 10-year old (at the time of this writing) digital camera that is only 12.3 megapixels and has a max ISO of 3200 has an interesting series of answers. Let me cite the method to my madness. The camera in question is a Nikon D-90 with a vertical grip. At the time it was released it was considered a top-shelf pro-sumer model, and it was the definitive purchase that pushed me from film into digital. At 12.3MP, it was quite the heavy hitter for it's time, considering it was not all that many iterations down the line from the days of the "5MP cieling", where even high end DSLRs were still climbing out of the 3.2 range. To show you just how far things have co
Hello, and welcome to the C.M. Franke Photography Blog! Stop by as often as you like to see new posts and rambling thoughts about light, color, and all of the other cool stuff that makes photography the dream we all chase and live!