Skip to main content

The Pursuit of Likelyness

Recently I had a chance to step back and think seriously about what got me started in photography at the beginning. I venture to guess it was the same thing that got many people into this field: A love of creating images. I see an image, a certain way, in my mind - and I want to create what I envision. Or I see something before me that strikes me as a visually powerful moment, and I want to record it to remember for years to come. When I got started with a camera, these were the reasons I pressed the shutter button. I wanted to create the image that I wanted to create. Later on - when I was shooting for others, I wanted to let them see their wedding, or their portrait, or their product in all of it's glory. To do justice to whatever it was, above all else. These are probably the same stepping stones that most photographers take. But somewhere along the line we can wander off...
          Technology being what it is, we are now able to communicate and network with one another - and others in various chosen professions - through the use of social media. In all honesty, social media is a great thing: It allows people who live continents apart to keep close to friends and family. It allows those who have not seen one another for decades to catch up. And yes, it allows entrepreneurs and businesses to connect with their clients in a personal way. But somewhere in the maelstrom, it has caused us to become more aware of what "everybody else" is doing, and to feel that we have to copy their stuff - rather create our images our way.
          Granted, I am a firm believer that if you see someone doing something that you think is really cool, and speaks to you on some deep level, then by all means try it as well. Incorporate the style, celebrate the technique, and improve your vision, if you feel that whatever this thing is will be your next step. But just copying the same things that others do, simply because it seems trendy? Not so much. Remember selective color images, with the red roses and everything else in black & white? Everybody did that. Who does it now? Or the "wine-glass" shot? Or the blue jeans and white shirt thing? Everybody did those. Now they look outdated. Guess what - in a few years the over-exposed, blown out background look will be dead. The scratchy, gritty look will be gone. It all goes like the wind. Only the desire to create images remains.
          I have come to see that I need to go back to what got me started in this way back in the beginning: A love of creating photographs. Whether it is exactly like what others are doing is not as important. Photography is not about pleasing other photographers, or copying the same trends everyone else is chasing. It is about creating images that speak to people. Images that are compelling. Images that CLIENTS want. That's what got all of us started. And that will never go out of style...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playing With Dramatic Light

I have this image that keeps recurring in my mind. It involves the cold blue feeling of a dark winter and the glowing orange of a firelight. So far it seems to keep eluding me, although I think this is largely because every attempt I have made to capture this "mood" has been done in a hurry, or in the rain, or some other situation that forced me to run through it rather than walk it out. This shot is one such version. I may need to go back with a slightly different lighting setup and try some more. Perhaps in a different location.

Everything Old is New Again...

Due to events that would take far too long to explain here, I now find myself working with a camera that I have not used for more than half a decade. Granted, it will largely be used only as a back-up at this point, but the question of why  anyone would 'go back' to using such "antiquated" technology as a 10-year old (at the time of this writing) digital camera that is only 12.3 megapixels and has a max ISO of 3200 has an interesting series of answers. Let me cite the method to my madness. The camera in question is a Nikon D-90 with a vertical grip. At the time it was released it was considered a top-shelf pro-sumer model, and it was the definitive purchase that pushed me from film into digital. At 12.3MP, it was quite the heavy hitter for it's time, considering it was not all that many iterations down the line from the days of the "5MP cieling", where even high end DSLRs were still climbing out of the 3.2 range. To show you just how far things have co

Be 'Practical' With Lighting

In Hollywood cinematography, there has been a sea-change over the last thirty years or so, away from "Studio style" lighting setups, to scenes and shots motivated by practical lighting. Gone are the days when a cowboy enters a barn, turns on one single lantern, and is blasted with pure white light coming from 12 different sources. But what does that sentence mean? "Motivating light using practical sources?" It sounds confusing and jargon-esque to the uninitiated. And how does it apply to still photography..?       To boil it down, "Practial lights" are any light sources that appear in the shot. A lamp. A streetlight. Car headlights. The idea being that if you have a person sitting next to a fireplace, or at a table lit by a lamp, that light source wants to predominate in the shot. So most of the light should look like firelight, or lamplight. And that [lighting] element should be clearly in frame. This does NOT mean that you should always rely solely on t